Blackberry and Crumble are the dogs, not a comment on baking. These are, as we always tell people, great names for dogs until you have to stand in a field shouting them, and then you just sound like a bit of a wally...

Welcome to my thoughts, ponderings and crafty adventures.

Wednesday 19 June 2013

don't judge me, but...

I went to the supermarket at lunchtime to buy some bread, and accidentally bought Gin, tonic and a lime.

Our nearest supermarket is a Lidl, so not only did I buy Gin, I bought cheap Gin. Fortunately I have shown some restraint and have yet to open the said Gin. I thought that sitting at home, alone, writing my dissertation with a bottle of Gin would possibly lead me down a path from which I may never return. I was initially shocked at the £490.00 bill in Lidl, until the girl on the checkout realised she had charged me for 49 bottles of Gin. She laughed and said that would keep you in gin for about 5 years. I avoided eye contact and smiled as though I agreed with her.

I love a trip to Lidl, I also love a trip to Home Bargains, but at a push Lidl is my favourite. It feels European and the packaging makes me feel like I'm in France - if they would just start stocking Chipie notebooks and squared paper I would never have to visit mainland Europe again.

Other than my trip to buy 40% proof alcohol and to do the school drop off, at which I didn't get out of the car, I have yet to leave the house. I joined the meeting I had to attend via Skype from my kitchen table - this was brilliant as it meant I didn't have to drive to Liverpool (which improves most days) but, it did mean that by attending virtually I missed out on physical cake.

There was always a rumour that news casters wore a shirt and tie and then just pants below the waist. I'd like to assure any colleagues reading this that I was properly attired, and although they couldn't tell because my camera wasn't working I had even brushed my hair.

I'm popping out in half an hour to collect HWMBO(I) from the train station and Bob is out for tea, perhaps we should take advantage of this and the sunshine and nip to the pub before I become completely agoraphobic. Or maybe we should just open the Gin.

12 comments:

  1. You have entertained me once again with your so nicely written off the cuff post! Thank you for the laughs!
    By the way, have you opened the gin yet? Enjoy the rest of your week and then at the end of it maybe you can consume the whole lot!
    Joy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Joy... I opened the gin, it was very nice with wedges of frozen lime. Delicious. I shall have another tomorrow! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have an Aldi nearby? Apparently their gin just won an award - the type of award that actually means something. As I can't get near either a Lidl or an Aldi at the moment I should be extremely grateful if you would be able to confirm said quality of cheap gin. You would be helping out on a very important research point....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to try aldi, but getting in the car and driving across town smacked rather of desperation... Always best to be able to walk for gin. For you though, I am willing to try and as soon as I've finished the current bottle, I will let you know... hic x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are kindness personified. I look forward to the results of your in-depth investigation with great anticipation. I imagine many gins will have to be consumed to ensure the results are totally fair. Best of British!

      Delete
  5. I love Lidl. It's my corner shop and I'm there most days.

    Won't hear a word against it. Particularly fine camembert today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Favourite joke.. What kind of cheese do you use to entice a bear? Camembert (come on bear, hilarious, no?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of 49 bottles of gin - I also love Home Bargains such kindred spirits x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you feel about stationery and tea? We could be soul mates

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoyed my first visit to you blog today and loved your humour! Can't wait to tune in for more. Jo x

    http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo, for visiting, and commenting... See you again soon x

      Delete