Blackberry and Crumble are the dogs, not a comment on baking. These are, as we always tell people, great names for dogs until you have to stand in a field shouting them, and then you just sound like a bit of a wally...

Welcome to my thoughts, ponderings and crafty adventures.

Tuesday 4 June 2013

clothes...


Caitlin Moran wrote, in How to be a woman that “When a woman says, ‘I have nothing to wear!’, what she really means is, ‘There’s nothing here for who I’m supposed to be today”. 

This really resonated with me. I, along with many women, hate shopping for clothes and in recent years have bought clothes mainly as part of the supermarket shop. (I went jeans shopping while procrastinating over revision for an exam recently – a largely depressing experience – incredibly difficult to buy a pair of jeans that are just plain, mid blue denim that don’t look like you have been in an acid related accident and  / or cost less than £100)

I have a really clear image in my mind of how I would like to look and have a pinboard full of images on pinterest of the sorts of things I would like to wear – artfully layered outfits, colourful and coordinated but I inevitably end up in jeans and a tunic, looking pretty much like every other woman of my age who is wearing jeans and a tunic… The artful layering looks lovely but it must generate a huge amount of ironing.

There are days when I am a student – I can dress for these. Jeans, tshirt, kickers or converse.

There are days when I am at work – these are harder. I’d like to wear shift dresses and shirts, high heels. I love a high heel but my balance is appalling and any elegance acquired via the shift dress is negated by the wobbly walking. 

The days when I am at home, and just being me, I don’t know what to wear. In response, I have decided that the course of action is to make something. I have never made clothes. I can sew and cut fabric but I’ve never followed a pattern. 

Months ago, a friend made her daughter a great top – really simple, crossed over at the back, no buttons, no zips and best of all patch pockets. Everything is better with pockets (and bunting, but not together, but actually, maybe big bunting with pockets for a childs bedroom, but I digress). I've bought the fabric... (spotty bias binding, if I were a squealing sort, I may actually squeal at the thought)

I’ve taken the bull by the horns and booked a two hour sewing lesson. A very nice, and possibly overly ambitious lady, thinks that is those two hours we will cut out and piece the top and, most excitingly, make bias binding from some lovely spotted fabric. The plan is for spotty pockets too… If this works, I can see one in a mid denim colour with a crocheted edge. 

I’m hoping that this will become my signature top, you know, in the way that Ina Garten wears the same shirt it lots of different colours because she knows it suits her… And also,  that it will be really easy to iron. 

17 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm so impressed. Waiting to see the outcome in the playground. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you.

    It's sad that, for all the choice and advice and endless discussion, for most women, clothes aren't a source of joy - or only occasionally so. We're meant to love shopping, and relish new outfits and the opportunity to show them off. But like you, I believe a lot of us hate shopping, and would love to live in a Star Trek world, where everyone wears the same clothes every day (though not the Star Trek design... Maybe jeans and a tunic...)

    What strikes me about what you're doing, is that you are trying to put the joy and fun back into clothes. Good for you!

    PS I've only just discovered the jeans and tunic thing, after years (decades) of jeans, a long-sleeved top, and a fleece. I was feeling rather avant garde. You've totally burst my balloon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The right tunic, worn well can be fabulous, as I am sure it is on you. I however have been wearing the same 3 on rotation for years and I am very bored...

      Delete
  3. Good luck with your sewing lesson. The fabric looks lovely, looking forward to seeing what you make...
    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. Thank you for stopping by. I had a look around your blog earlier - lovely x

      Delete
  4. I love that quote it's so true. Good luck with the sewing ... Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, isn't it... Keep your fingers crossed on Saturday...

      Delete
  5. Hi there. Just stumbled across your blog via Ladybird diaries and tales from a happy house- Really nice to read your blog- Good luck with your Sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, nice to 'meet' you...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello again, and thank you for visiting me! I have left you a reply on my blog but just in case ... .... I thought I should let you have the colours here too.
    Stylecraft Special DK:
    white,parchment, mocha, silver
    pale rose, raspberry
    cloud blue, denim
    wisteria, grape
    All the best with it - and I do love your blog!
    Joy x
    joyjinkscreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy... I have some WIP to finish, but I know what I'm doing next!

      Delete
  8. Just popped over from Attic 24 as your blog name caught my eye. Didn't think for a minute Blackberry and Crumble would be names of dogs, but the thought of someone shouting that it the middle of a field made me laugh. Looking forward to reading more of your blog too :O)x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Jackie, they do make you feel a bit daft - particularly if they are being naughty and won't come back so your shouting it really loud and running after them... They have become quite well known round here! There are people in the town who know the dogs names but not ours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. can't wait to see what you make..love the fabric! my issue is jeans/trousers and the fact they are all made to sit somewhere around you hips which they say is your waist. well my waist is much further up! I like a more secure tummy these days! Emmax

    ReplyDelete
  11. Indeed, I think I must be a different shape from any one else because trousers / jeans never fit... I'm very excited about the sewing, I hope I can do it x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great informative blog about Vintage Clothing & Christian Clothing online.

    Vintage Clothing & Christian Clothing

    ReplyDelete