I have written here before about how much I like a tradition.
Traditionally we use a home made banner for birthdays in this house.
Equally traditionally, a few days before the banner is required I turn the house upside down looking for it, cursing my inability to put it somewhere that is both safe and memorable after last use. In this morning’s searching I have found:
· A small PVC greenhouse, still in its box – now erected and waiting to work out where it will live.
· More spotlight light bulbs that we could ever reasonably use
· More picture hooks than the Tate would need, in all its locations
· More curtain hooks than …. a curtain hook shop would ever need
· Cupboard door handles from 2 kitchens ago
· A frankly alarming full face alien mask for a small child
· Literally 100’s of Ikea nightlights
· The Christmas stockings
· 4 hammers (sorry Dad, I think we probably do have your hammer after all)
· ID badges from 2 jobs ago
· My walking boots
For when I inevitably cannot find these items again in the future, I intend to keep the banners on the top of the bookcase in my office in the currently empty shoebox, the light bulbs are on the top shelf in the utility room, door handles, nightlights, stockings and hammers are in the cupboard under the stairs, ID badge in my office and the walking boots under the spare bed…
The banner was on the shelf in Bob’s wardrobe…. Obvious really. I also found the sledges, which given the decline in the weather we may need sooner rather than later.